After building the bike lift (link soon), rebuilding and painting the R6 calipers (link soon), rebuilding the R6 fork (link soon), getting the spacers machined and replacing the old tires, it was time to fit it all on the bike.
I took out all the parts in this order:
- Remove headlight
- Remove front brake calipers
- Unscrew front wheel bolt
- Unscrew pinch bolts
- Loosen the top triple tree
- Securely lift the bike
- Remove front wheel
- Remove all retaining clips/tabs and dashboard
- Secure the handlebar to the top of the bike lift
- Fully unscrew the top triple tree and remove it
- Slide off the lower triple tree, and be sure to remember the assembly order for everything connected to the steering stem
Following that, I straightened the bent headlight bracket, cleaned and greased the headset bearings and simply refitted the new parts by doing the reverse of the disassembly. It’s best practice to put a dab of grease on the threads before screwing anything back in.
Other small parts (foot pegs, levers, etc) needed taking care of.